Hats Off Gentlemen It’s Adequate - Parallel Lives (2026)
I think Parallel Lives is a good album with plenty of interesting ideas, but I don't think the songs are consistently memorable enough to justify a higher score.
My Blistering Mind is a strong opener because it is compact, nervous and immediately distinctive. The electronic pulse and bass give it much more personality than a lot of modern prog, and I like that it doesn't stretch the idea unnecessarily.
Never Really Felt Like Home is one of the highlights for me. The flute gives the instrumental a much more emotional character, and the track develops naturally without becoming a technical showcase.
Eversion is probably the best example of what the band does well. The concept is complex, but the music actually changes with the narrative, so it feels composed rather than simply clever. Just Hold On is another strong moment, especially because the choral opening and gradual build finally give the album a real emotional payoff.
My main problem is that I remember the concepts, structures and arrangements more clearly than the melodies.
The Mandatory Prize and Smile, Smile, Smile are both interesting, but I don't feel a strong need to return to them individually. Pretty Blue Fox has a good atmosphere, but again I remember the texture more than the composition.
The shorter instrumentals help the pacing, and I appreciate how varied the album is. It never feels like generic retro-prog, which is definitely a strength.
Still, being intelligent and varied is not enough by itself. I need more songs that stay with me once the album ends.
So for me this is a solid, personal and genuinely progressive record with several good moments, but not one I would return to very often as a complete album.
Pros
- Eversion, Never Really Felt Like Home and Just Hold On are clear highlights
- Strong mix of rock, electronics and classical elements
- Genuine personality and conceptual ambition
Cons
- Concepts are often more memorable than the melodies
- Several tracks are interesting rather than replayable
- The vocals are sometimes more functional than emotionally engaging
Genre: Progressive Rock
Country: UK
Final Verdict: 65% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 244th / 663
Highlight: Just Hold On
Made me think of:
The Pineapple Thief
Big Big Train
Frost*
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ProgressiveRock #HatsOffGentlemenIt’sAdequate #UK
#LP #Album #release
