Keller - Méli-Mélo (2026)


This is quite different from the darker, more progressive side I normally associate with Gabriel Keller. Méli-Mélo is much more direct, much more focused on French chanson, folk and acoustic arrangements, but there are still enough small progressive touches to stop it from becoming completely conventional.

The arrangements are probably the strongest part for me. The cello gives the album a real identity, and the occasional violin, clarinet and harp add colour without making the songs feel overloaded. I also like the way the different vocalists change the tone from one track to another. It helps a lot on an album this long because otherwise the acoustic/chanson palette could become too uniform.

“Les Demoiselles” is my favourite track. The clarinet gives it something a little different immediately, and I like the way the arrangement feels lighter and more playful than some of the more serious songs around it. It is probably the track where the album’s title makes the most sense to me: there is a slightly eclectic, almost patchwork quality, but it still feels natural rather than forced.

“La Tête Haute” is another strong one because it keeps more of Keller’s progressive instinct in the arrangement, while “Hirondelles” is probably one of the more immediate songs melodically. There are definitely several tracks here I would keep.

The main limitation is still the length. Fourteen tracks and more than 50 minutes is a lot for material this restrained. The arrangements are consistently good, but after a while the combination of acoustic guitars, strings and poetic vocals becomes a little predictable. There are songs I like while they are playing but that I do not necessarily remember very clearly afterwards.

And that is probably why I stop at 66. I think this is more than just a pleasant chanson-folk record. There is real care in the arrangements, enough personality in the instrumentation, and a few tracks that genuinely stand out. But the songwriting is not consistently strong enough to push it into the upper 60s.

So 66 feels right: good to very good, well arranged, clearly personal, but still more impressive in its textures and details than in the strength of every individual song.

66/100

❤️ Favourite track: “Les Demoiselles”
Then “La Tête Haute” and “Hirondelles”

+ The cello, clarinet, violin and harp give the album a real instrumental identity
+ “Les Demoiselles” brings some welcome lightness and personality
+ Good balance between chanson, folk and Keller’s more progressive background

– 52 minutes is still slightly too long for this kind of material
– Several songs are pleasant without being especially memorable
– The arrangements are often stronger than the songwriting itself





Genre: Chamber Pop
Country: France

Final Verdict: 66% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 204th / 719

Highlight: Les Demoiselles


Made me think of:
XII Alfonso
Autour de Lucie
Catastrophe

#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ChamberPop #Keller #France
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)