Orbital - Glastonbury 1994 (2026)
This is a very good live document, but I think 66 is much more realistic for me than the 72 I initially predicted.
The biggest strength is still the fact that this actually sounds live. Orbital are not just replaying the studio versions with crowd noise around them. The tracks breathe more, the transitions matter, and there is a rougher edge to the whole thing that suits this period of electronic music very well.
The middle of the set is where it works best. “Impact”, “Remind” and “Are We Here?” all gain something from the live setting. There is more movement, more tension, and a stronger physical feel than on record. “Are We Here?” is still my favourite track because it has the best balance between atmosphere and progression. It is long, but at least it feels like it is going somewhere.
“Chime” is obviously a strong closer too. It is simple, direct and still works perfectly in a live context. But I don't think the set is equally strong from beginning to end.
That is the main reason for the lower score. At 77 minutes, there are too many stretches where the repetition works better as part of a festival experience than as something I really want to replay at home. “Sad But True” and “Attached” are good in the flow, but I am not sure I would choose them individually very often.
I also think the historical importance of this concert can make the album sound more essential than it actually is. It was clearly an important moment for electronic music at Glastonbury, but I don't want to give points for that. I am rating the album I hear now.
And when I do that, I get a good live electronic record with several excellent passages, not a major personal reference. The sound, energy and long-form sequencing are strong, but the replay value is more selective than complete.
So 66 feels right. Good, sometimes very good, and definitely worth hearing, but I would come back to a handful of tracks much more often than to the entire set.
66/100
❤️ Favourite track: “Are We Here?”
Then “Impact” and “Chime”
+ Proper live feel instead of studio versions with applause
+ “Are We Here?” and “Impact” have real movement and scale
+ The rougher 1994 sound gives the set a lot of personality
– 77 minutes is too long for the amount of variation
– Several tracks work better in the full concert flow than on their own
– Historical importance is stronger than the actual replay value of the whole album
Genre: Ambient Techno
Country: UK
Final Verdict: 66% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 230th / 721
Highlight: Are We Here?
Made me think of:
Underworld
The Future Sound of London
Banco de Gaia
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#AmbientTechno #Orbital #UK
#LP #Album #release
