The pineapple Thief - Far and wide (2026)
A solid and atmospheric progressive rock album, with excellent musicianship and some enjoyable instrumental passages, but one that feels a little too predictable and lacks enough memorable melodies.
Far and Wide sees The Pineapple Thief continuing their familiar combination of melancholic vocals, atmospheric guitars and progressive arrangements, with a slightly heavier and more direct approach. The production is clear and detailed, and Gavin Harrison's drumming remains one of the band's strongest assets, bringing interesting rhythmic variations to otherwise fairly straightforward compositions.
“Scattering Like Flies” is my favourite track. I particularly enjoy its gradual development, the contrast between the quieter passages and the heavier sections, and the way the instruments interact throughout the composition. The atmosphere works well, and the arrangement has enough variation to remain interesting without becoming unnecessarily complicated.
“God Knows” is another good track, with its heavy opening riff and effective contrast with the softer piano and vocal sections. “This Empty Space” has some enjoyable atmospheric passages, while “Through the Noise” develops towards a more energetic conclusion. “No Exceptions” also has some strong instrumental moments, although I find its longer structure less engaging than I expected.
What I appreciate most is the quality of the musicianship. Harrison's drumming is particularly impressive, with subtle rhythmic details that add depth to the arrangements. The guitars and keyboards also work well together, creating some beautiful textures, and Bruce Soord's restrained vocals generally suit the melancholic atmosphere.
My main problem is that the album rarely moves beyond the band's established formula. Too many songs rely on similar atmospheric introductions, gradual build-ups and heavier conclusions. These structures are well executed, but become predictable, and I find that the compositions often lack strong melodic hooks or distinctive themes.
The overall mood is also quite homogeneous. While the production and instrumental performances are consistently good, several songs blend together, and I don't find enough moments that really stand out after listening to the entire album.
It's an enjoyable record with some good ideas and excellent musicianship, but I find myself appreciating the arrangements more than the songs themselves. A decent addition to the band's discography, although not one I expect to return to very often.
65/100
❤️ Favourite track: “Scattering Like Flies”
+ Excellent musicianship, particularly Gavin Harrison's drumming
+ Beautiful atmospheric textures and instrumental arrangements
+ Some effective dynamic contrasts and progressive passages
– Predictable structures and familiar songwriting
– Not enough memorable melodies or distinctive songs
– Homogeneous atmosphere and limited replay value
Genre: Progressive Rock
Country: UK
Final Verdict: 65% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 339th / 748
Highlight: Scattering like flies
Made me think of:
Porcupine Tree
Riverside
Gazpacho
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ProgressiveRock #ThepineappleThief #UK
#LP #Album #release
