Agnes Obel - The Meaning of Flowers (2026)


The Meaning of Flowers is immediately recognisable as Agnes Obel, perhaps a little too much so. The sound is beautiful from the start: piano, carefully placed strings and electronics, her voice sitting very close to the listener, and almost nothing that feels accidental. Compared with Myopia, there is a little more warmth and a slightly broader instrumental palette, but the basic emotional world remains very controlled.

“Laymelli” is probably the track I would return to first because it actually pushes against that control. The electronics and percussion create more tension than usual, while the manipulated vocals make the song feel less settled. “Gemini” is spacious and elegant, but “Never Been” already exposes the album’s main weakness for me: the arrangement is beautiful, the performance is beautiful, yet I struggle to remember much of the song once it ends. “Blood So Red” works better because it has more movement and a clearer progression, with the synths doing more than simply colouring the background.

The middle of the album is where I start losing some interest. “No Such Thing as Silence” and “Deem Me Now” are both carefully made, but they stay inside a very narrow emotional range. Obel is excellent at creating intimacy and melancholy, but after a while I begin to hear the consistency of the production more than the individuality of the songs. “Jenn’s on the Way” and “Beyond the Sun” are short enough not to become a problem, although neither really changes my impression.

“Tangerine” is more interesting because the saxophone and celesta introduce a different colour, and for a moment the album stops feeling quite so hermetic. “Faustian Deal” also gives the ending more shape, with its waltz-like movement bringing a little more breadth after so much restraint. These moments are enough to keep the record clearly above average, but not enough to make me want to replay the full 52 minutes often.

That is really where the 66 comes from. I like the sound of The Meaning of Flowers considerably more than I remember most of its melodies. The craft is obvious, the atmosphere is coherent and there are several very good pieces, but I rarely feel surprised or emotionally destabilised. Everything is almost too well controlled.

Beautifully made and easy to admire, but the atmosphere often carries the songs rather than the other way around. I would happily return to “Laymelli,” “Blood So Red” and “Tangerine”; the complete album, less often.





Genre: Chamber Pop
Country: Denmark

Final Verdict: 66% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 215th / 702

Highlight: Laymelli


Made me think of:
Nils Frahm
Ólafur Arnalds
Anna von Hausswolff


#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ChamberPop #AgnesObel #Denmark
#LP #Album #release



 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)