Chaka Khan - Chakzilla (2026)


Chaka Khan is still the best thing on this album.

That sounds obvious, but it is also the problem.

The title track arrives with a huge beat, synth bass and enough swagger to make the concept work.

It is fun.

But it also feels very consciously designed to announce a comeback.

“Boogie’s in My Soul” is looser.

Snoop Dogg fits surprisingly well, and the track has more natural swing than the opener. It is one of the moments where the album stops trying so hard to sound important.

“Curious Subject” is probably even better.

The groove is light, the hook is clean, and Chaka sounds comfortable rather than pushed toward a big modern-pop moment.

That helps.

“Cool U Down” with Sia is where I hear the machinery most clearly.

Everything is in the right place.

The lift.

The chorus.

The production swell.

The vocal layering.

It works.

I just do not feel much surprise.

“I Know You Can” is compact and pleasant, but fairly anonymous.

“Bring the Party” wakes things up again.

The guitar gives Chaka something rougher to push against, and suddenly the record has more friction.

I like that.

“Always Love the Challenge” is probably the weakest track for me.

Nothing bad.

Nothing memorable.

That distinction matters.

Then “Heart of Gold” gives me one of the better melodies on the album.

The synth-pop production is polished, but the song itself survives underneath it.

That is probably my favorite.

“Now and Forever” gives the album a little breathing space before “Dreamy Stuff” closes things without trying to manufacture a dramatic finale.

Good decision.

Thirty-four minutes is also exactly the right length.

The dynamic-range data is interesting too: the hi-res release measures around DR5, which matches what I hear—very loud, very compressed, always pushing for impact.

That contributes to the feeling of everything being slightly over-present.

Nothing really breathes.

Chaka still does.

Her voice cuts through all of it.

But I keep asking the same question.

Would I care as much about these songs without her?

Probably not.

That is why I stop at 64.

Still a pleasure to hear Chaka Khan this alive and engaged, but the production is bigger than the songwriting. Good comeback, not essential comeback.





Genre: Dance Pop
Country: US

Final Verdict: 64% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 310th / 701

Highlight: Boogie's in My Soul


Made me think of:
Jessie Ware
Diana Ross
Donna Summer

#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#DancePop #ChakaKhan #US
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)