Chanel Beads - Your Day Will Come (2026)
Your Day Will Come is one of those albums where I can understand why critics are excited without really sharing the enthusiasm. Chanel Beads have a recognisable sound, and almost every track contains some detail that catches my attention, but that does not mean I enjoy the album very much as a collection of songs.
“Drums Only” sets the problem immediately. The bass pulse is good, the strings and electronics gradually fill the space, and the production is certainly interesting. But once it ends, I remember the texture more than any melodic idea. That becomes a recurring pattern.
“Song for the Messenger” works better because there is an actual refrain I can hold onto. The pedal steel gives it warmth, while Shane Lavers' loose vocal delivery keeps it from becoming too polished. NME hears the album as more disciplined and song-based than the previous record, and this is one of the tracks where I agree.
“The Coward Forgets His Nightmare,” “Profane Break” and “JBL in the Fireplace” lose me much more quickly. The arrangements keep changing, but I do not feel much emotional progression. A new sound arrives, the vocal shifts, something distorts, then another section appears. I can follow the construction, but I am not especially moved by it.
“Tyler Richard” is more effective because the ugliness feels purposeful. The screams and harsher textures create genuine tension rather than just another layer of weirdness. Pitchfork also emphasizes the album's deliberately contradictory and fragmented character, but this is one of the few places where that contradiction actually becomes emotionally convincing to me.
“Outside Your Life” is more spacious, but I still do not think the longer runtime solves the songwriting problem. It has room to breathe, yes, but the underlying melody is still relatively weak. That is why I would no longer choose it as my favorite.
“Silver Cup” is better because Maya McGrory gives the track a clearer vocal identity, and the violin creates some real emotional movement. “Opening in the Gate” then becomes the point where the whole aesthetic works best for me. The strange arrangement has direction, the textures accumulate properly, and the song actually feels like it is going somewhere. WhyNow's description of it as the most fully realised piece seems fair.
The final stretch returns to the same issue. “Spirit Showing,” “Drunk Stupid in the Structure” and “Boss” are all sonically distinctive, but I hear the manipulation more clearly than the compositions. The heavily processed vocals on “Boss” are memorable, but mostly because they are heavily processed.
“Beaten With Sticks” closes the album quietly, which is probably the right choice. By then, though, I am more relieved by the lack of another production surprise than emotionally affected by the ending.
The critical consensus is much warmer than mine. Metacritic shows seven positive reviews out of eight, with Pitchfork, NME and The Line of Best Fit all around 8/10. I can understand what they hear: a record that bends pop structures into something unstable and contemporary. But that is exactly where my reaction diverges. I do not think destabilising a song automatically makes it more interesting.
The sound world is unusual, but I spend too much time admiring how the songs are assembled and too little time wanting to hear them again. “Opening in the Gate” shows what this approach can achieve, but most of the album leaves me with textures rather than songs.
Genre: Experimental Pop
Country: US
Final Verdict: 59% (Forgettable Album)
Yearly Ranking: 610th / 710
Highlight: Opening in the Gate
Made me think of:
Dean Blunt
Alex G
Cindy Lee
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ExperimentalPop #ChanelBeads #US
#LP #Album #release
