L'Rain - Fata Morgana (2026)
There is a lot I admire here. L’Rain moves between R&B, folk, dub, ambient music, noise and more abrasive material without making the album feel stitched together. The transitions are probably the strongest thing about fata morgana. A song can change direction completely and still somehow feel coherent.
But that is also where I start to see the limitation. I often notice the production before I notice the song. The textures are rich, the arrangements are full of small surprises, and the whole thing is clearly very carefully constructed. But once several tracks end, I struggle to remember much beyond the atmosphere.
“elmyra” works much better for me because there is a real melodic centre. It develops naturally, has a stronger hook, and gives me something concrete to come back to. “birthday” is another highlight because the emotional idea is much clearer. “with time” also works because the gradual transformation feels connected to the song rather than added on top of it.
The weaker material is not bad at all. It is just more interesting than affecting. Some of the short pieces function well inside the album but do not give me much reason to hear them separately, and that lowers the replay value.
I also think this is warmer and easier to enter than some of L’Rain’s previous work, which helps. But accessibility alone does not make it stronger. I still need more memorable songs and a little more emotional weight.
Creative, elegant and genuinely distinctive, but too much of it stays at the level of fascinating texture rather than lasting songcraft.
Genre: Experimental Pop
Country: US
Final Verdict: 66% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 169th / 686
Highlight: elmyra
Made me think of:
Tirzah
Kelela
serpentwithfeet
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ExperimentalPop #L'Rain #US
#LP #Album #release
