Open Mike Eagle & Kenny Segal - DOOMED! (2026)
I understand why this is getting excellent reviews. I just do not think I want to listen to it nearly as much as I admire it.
Open Mike Eagle has built the whole album around the collapse of a relationship, and there is a lot of very precise writing here. Small humiliations, arguments, memories, attempts to make sense of something that clearly does not make sense anymore.
That part works.
Kenny Segal works too.
The production is understated but detailed: dusty keys, muted jazz textures, thick drums, strange little synth figures. He gives Eagle exactly enough space without turning the record into forty minutes of spoken-word melancholy.
The problem is that I often hear the idea of the song more clearly than the song itself.
“Unfinished Concrete Initials” is a perfect example. The image is excellent. Two people trying to leave something permanent behind, then the relationship disappearing while the concrete remains. Very Open Mike Eagle. Very clever.
But once I understand the image, I am not sure I need the track repeatedly.
“Don’t Go Look” is similar. The idea of needing supernatural discipline not to check an ex’s social media is funny and painfully recognisable. But it feels more like a sharp vignette than something I want to return to musically.
“She Swear I’m Colorblind” works better because the production has more movement. billy woods also creates useful friction. The track feels less hermetic.
“Science Fiction/Fantasy” loses me more. The metaphors pile up, the delivery remains restrained, and I begin to feel like I am reading somebody’s notes rather than listening to a song.
That distinction matters.
Open Mike Eagle is so articulate that he can make almost any emotional detail interesting. But interesting is not the same as memorable.
The same issue appears across the middle of the album. I like the observations. I like the production. I like the way the breakup is refracted through absurd pop-cultural language.
I just do not feel much urge to replay many of these tracks individually.
“Infinity War Spoilers” is one of the better exceptions because the music has enough atmosphere to carry some of the emotional weight itself. I do not need the lyrics to do everything.
Then the final track finally gives me what I have been waiting for.
“Watching a Movie Called Freedom By Myself” slows everything down. The irony remains, but the cleverness stops dominating. The music dissolves, the emotional centre becomes clearer, and suddenly I am not analysing the breakup anymore.
I am feeling it.
That is the album I wanted more often.
The critical reception is much warmer than my score—the current Metacritic average is 81—but I can completely understand that. The writing is smart, the concept is consistent and Segal’s production is excellent.
My scale is just asking a different question.
Do I want to replay it?
Not enough.
Very well written, very well produced and emotionally intelligent, but too many tracks stay at the level of clever observation rather than becoming music I need to hear again. I respect it considerably more than I enjoy it.
Genre: Alternative Hip-Hop
Country: US
Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 452th / 691
Highlight: Watching a Movie Called Freedom By Myself
Made me think of:
Serengeti
Aesop Rock
Quelle Chris
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#AlternativeHip-Hop #OpenMikeEagle&KennySegal #US
#LP #Album #release
