The Tubs - Hard Life (2026)
The Tubs have a good trick: bright guitars, quick rhythms, catchy melodies, then lyrics that are much more miserable than the music suggests.
It works immediately.
“Hard Life” is lively enough, and “Who’s Gonna Love You Now?” has the kind of hook that makes the bitterness underneath feel sharper.
But by the third or fourth track, I already know the mechanism.
That is the problem.
“If You Don’t Love Me” is one of the better songs because the sadness feels more specific. The melody has enough weight to survive without the lyrical contrast.
“Stoop to Me” is energetic, but it also sounds very familiar. I hear the band’s influences almost before I hear the band themselves.
“Heaven or London” is interesting lyrically, but musically it does not move far enough away from the established formula.
“Didn’t I Say?” is fine.
That word becomes dangerous here.
Fine.
A lot of the album is fine.
“Do Yourself a Favor” is a smart cover choice because it temporarily changes the texture, but I still hear it more as an interesting decision than as a track I need.
“Now and Then” and “The Way It Goes” are pleasant, but again the songs begin to blur.
“Hell” is short enough to avoid becoming a problem.
“In Your Place” is where I finally hear the band opening the structure up. Five and a half minutes gives them enough room to let the mood settle, and the track feels less like another efficient indie single.
That is probably my favorite.
“As Long as You Leave” closes the album well enough, but by then I am more aware of the consistency than excited by it.
And consistency is not automatically quality.
The production is good. The playing is good. The lyrics are often sharp. The band clearly has personality.
But I do not hear enough moments where the songs themselves become essential.
The references are too obvious, the structures too familiar, and the emotional range narrower than the lyrics initially make it seem.
Good indie rock with a strong personality and several sharp hooks, but too much of it settles into the same shape. I enjoy parts of it, but I would not come back often.
Genre: Indie Rock
Country: UK
Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 434th / 692
Highlight: in your place
Made me think of:
R.E.M.
The Replacements
Richard Thompson
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#IndieRock #TheTubs #UK
#LP #Album #release
