Convulsif - Anatomy of Rage (2026)
This is clearly original and very well constructed, but I connect with the idea more than with the album itself.
The instrumentation is the main strength. Bass clarinet and violin give the music a very different kind of heaviness, while bass and drums keep it grounded enough to avoid turning into pure abstraction.
“The Pitch, the Plight, the Polymer” is my favourite. The long format gives the band enough space to build tension properly, and the final sections have the strongest sense of payoff on the album.
“Being Put Down” and “Development” are also effective because they balance complexity with enough momentum to remain physical.
The problem is that the album often feels more cerebral than emotional. I admire the interaction between composition, improvisation, doom and noise, but I do not always feel pulled back toward the songs themselves.
The shorter tracks help with sequencing, but several work better as structural transitions than as pieces I would want to revisit individually.
There is a lot of personality here and nothing feels generic. I just find the replay value more limited than the originality would suggest.
66/100
❤️ Favourite track: “The Pitch, the Plight, the Polymer”
+ Very distinctive instrumentation and sound
+ Strong tension and structural control
+ Good integration of improvisation and heaviness
– Often more cerebral than emotional
– Limited replay value
– Several short pieces feel more functional than essential
Genre: Experimental metal
Country: Switzerland
Final Verdict: 66% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 220th / 730
Highlight: The Pitch, the Plight, the Polymer
Made me think of:
Zu
Neptunian Maximalism
Imperial Triumphant
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#Experimentalmetal #Convulsif #Switzerland
#LP #Album #release
