The Lazy Eyes - Cheesy Love Songs (2026)
I think Cheesy Love Songs is pleasant and well made, but I also think I enjoy the idea of the album more than most of the actual songs.
The Lazy Eyes clearly know how to write this kind of retro pop. The harmonies are good, the arrangements are detailed without becoming overloaded, and tracks like The One Who Got Away and How Does It Feel To Be In Love? have enough melodic ideas to stand out. I also like the short runtime. Thirty-three minutes is exactly right.
But I keep hearing the references before I hear the band. Beatles, Beach Boys, Zombies, a little Queen or Elton John. None of it is badly done, but the more psychedelic and heavier side of The Lazy Eyes gave them much more personality. Here they often sound like very talented students of classic pop.
The other problem is that the songs are more charming than memorable. There are nice chord changes, clever arrangements and plenty of pleasant moments, but not many hooks that stay with me once the album finishes.
So I don't dislike this change of direction. It is concise, tasteful and easy to listen to. I just don't find enough personality or emotional impact to make me particularly interested in returning to it.
ProsGood harmonies and carefully constructed arrangements
The One Who Got Away and How Does It Feel To Be In Love? stand out
Short runtime prevents the retro-pop formula from becoming tiring
Cons
Influences are often more obvious than the band's own identity
Too many songs are pleasant rather than genuinely memorable
Less personality and energy than their psychedelic material
Genre: Psychedelic Pop
Country: Australia
Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 383th / 646
Highlight: How Does It Feel To Be In Love?
Made me think of:
The Beatles
The Beach Boys
The Zombies
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#PsychedelicPop #TheLazyEyes #Australia
#LP #Album #release
