Wild Pink - Still Coming Down (2026)


I think Still Coming Down is pleasant and well made, but I also think I admire the details more than I actually want to return to the album.

There are some very good textures here. The mix of distorted guitars, pedal steel, fiddle and other acoustic instruments gives the record a real identity, and John Ross is still a strong writer. Round of Applause at the End of the World and 500 Is the New 250 are probably the tracks that work best for me.

My main problem is the songs themselves. Too many of them feel more interesting while they are playing than memorable afterwards. The arrangements are often excellent, but the hooks are modest and the understated vocals keep the emotional peaks fairly low.

The short runtime helps a lot. At around thirty-three minutes, the album never becomes tiring and there is very little obvious filler. But even with that economy, I don't hear enough songs I really want to keep.

So for me this is a solid indie-rock album with a strong atmosphere and good writing, but not much more than that. I understand what it is doing, I like the sound, but I don't feel a strong need to come back.

Pros
Strong instrumental textures and tasteful arrangements
John Ross remains an interesting lyricist
Short and well paced

Cons
Not enough memorable hooks
Emotional impact stays quite restrained
Several songs are easier to appreciate than to remember





Genre: Heartland Rock
Country: US

Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 359th / 645

Highlight: Round of Applause at the End of the World


Made me think of:
The War on Drugs
MJ Lenderman
Wednesday


#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#HeartlandRock #WildPink #US
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)

Oddleaf - Where Ideal and Denial Collide (2024)