Weezer - Weezer (The Gold Album) (2026)


I think Weezer (The Gold Album) is perfectly enjoyable, but I also think I liked the idea of Weezer sounding like Weezer again more than I actually liked most of the songs.

The good moments are easy to find. We Might as Well Be Strangers is probably the strongest track. Say Yes works well as an opener but We Might as Well Be Strangers has more emotional weight than most of the album. I also like the fact that the band sounds more alive again. The guitars have some weight, the drums feel less processed and thirty-three minutes is exactly the right length.

But the songwriting is much more uneven than I initially thought. Too many songs have the familiar Weezer ingredients without the melodies being strong enough to justify them. I hear the crunchy guitars, the awkward humour and the big choruses, but only a few of those choruses actually stay with me.

I also get tired of how much Rivers is writing about Weezer itself: getting older, dealing with fans, the music business and trying to understand what the band should be now. C.E.O. is amusing once, but it also feels very close to self-parody, while Hoops and Nowhere don't give me much reason to return.

So this is not a bad album. It is short, energetic and has a few genuinely good songs. But for me it sits much closer to competent late-period Weezer than to a real comeback. The sound is familiar and comfortable; the songs simply aren't memorable enough.

Pros

  • Shine Again and We Might as Well Be Strangers are strong songs
  • Short runtime keeps the weaker material from becoming exhausting
  • More natural band energy and guitar weight than on several recent Weezer albums

Cons

  • Too many average songs built from very familiar Weezer ingredients
  • Self-referential lyrics become repetitive and occasionally self-parodic
  • Hooks and melodies are much less memorable than the classic Weezer formula needs




Genre: Alternative Rock
Country: US

Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 361th / 644

Highlight: We Might as Well Be Strangers

Made me think of:
The Rentals
Fountains of Wayne
Nada Surf


#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#AlternativeRock #Weezer #US
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)

Oddleaf - Where Ideal and Denial Collide (2024)