Squirrel Flower - Say A Prayer To The Gods of Getting Going (2026)
I think Say a Prayer to the Gods of Getting Going is a good album, but I don't think it quite becomes a very good one.
Ella Williams is clearly the main reason it works. Her voice gives the record a real identity, and I like the way she moves between something very fragile and something much heavier without forcing it. Cleveland is probably the song I would return to first, while Helicopters and Foot Thick Ice are the moments where the album has the most impact.
I also like the balance between folk, heartland rock and noisier guitars. The production is detailed without becoming too polished, and the thirty-five-minute runtime helps a lot. There is very little filler and the sequencing is strong.
My main issue is still the songwriting. A lot of the songs are well written, but not enough of them leave a strong melodic trace afterwards. I remember the atmosphere, the voice and the feeling of movement through roads and cities more clearly than I remember the actual hooks.
So for me this is comfortably above average. It has personality, a strong vocal presence and several very good moments. I just don't hear enough memorable songs to push it much higher.
ProsElla Williams' voice gives the album a strong identity
Good balance between quiet folk textures and heavier guitars
Compact, coherent and very well paced
Cons
Not enough melodies really stick
Several songs are more atmospheric than memorable
Strong overall mood, but only a few standout tracks
Genre: Slacker Rock
Country: US
Final Verdict: 65% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 238th / 647
Highlight: Cleveland
Made me think of:
Wednesday
Waxahatchee
Adrianne Lenker
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#SlackerRock #SquirrelFlower #US
#LP #Album #release
