Sadness - Sunset Blush (2026)
I think Sunset Blush is a good atmospheric metal album, but I don't think the intensity is enough to make it a truly strong one.
The atmosphere is clearly the best part. Sadness is very good at combining shoegaze warmth with black-metal weight, and when the guitars become huge there is a real emotional effect. Pink Sounds is probably my favourite because the build feels natural rather than simply loud, while Istoy works well as the final long climax.
I also like how direct the album is emotionally. There is no distance or irony here: sunsets, summer, love, absence and nostalgia are pushed almost to the point of excess. Most of the time that sincerity works.
My main problem is repetition. The four tracks have different details, but they often move towards the same kind of release: softer textures, increasing layers, distant vocals and then a large wall of sound. Once I understand that pattern, some of the later climaxes lose part of their impact.
I also remember the overall pink, nostalgic atmosphere more clearly than the individual compositions. There are beautiful passages, but fewer themes or riffs that stay with me afterwards.
So I think this is definitely above average and there is enough personality to make it worth returning to. I just don't hear enough variation or memorable songwriting to push it much higher.
ProsStrong emotional atmosphere
Very effective blend of shoegaze and atmospheric black metal
Pink Sounds and Istoy contain some genuinely impressive climaxes
Cons
Similar emotional structure across the four tracks
The overall mood is more memorable than the individual songs
Too much reliance on texture and accumulation rather than strong themes
Genre: Shoegaze
Country: US
Final Verdict: 67% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 113th / 648
Highlight: Pink Sounds
Made me think of:
LantlĂ´s
Unreqvited
Violet Cold
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#Shoegaze #Sadness #US
#LP #Album #release
