sam smith - hazel eyes (2026)


I think Hazel Eyes is pleasant and very well produced, but I don't think the songs justify the amount of polish around them.

The organic direction suits Sam Smith much better than the more synthetic pop of some previous releases. The acoustic guitars, piano, strings and gospel elements give the album warmth, and their voice is obviously excellent throughout. I also like that they don't constantly push every song towards a huge vocal climax.

Everlasting Love is probably the track I would return to first, and Moondance works well because Feist brings a different texture to the album. Oh Mother also has some emotional weight without becoming too theatrical.

My problem is that too many songs start to blend together. The production is warm and tasteful, but the songwriting is often quite conventional. I remember the atmosphere of the album, the voice and the seventies-influenced arrangements much more clearly than most of the actual melodies.

The lyrics also don't help enough. There is a lot of sincerity, but also a lot of familiar romantic imagery, and very few lines really stay with me afterwards.

So this is a competent and occasionally beautiful album, but for me it sits much closer to average than to very good. I admire the sound more than I want to replay the songs.

Pros
Warm, organic production suits Sam Smith very well
Excellent vocal performance throughout
A few strong moments, especially Everlasting Love and Moondance

Cons
Too many songs blur together
Melodies are often pleasant rather than memorable
The production has more personality than the songwriting





Genre: Pop Soul
Country: UK

Final Verdict: 60% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 527th / 649

Highlight: Everlasting Love


Made me think of:
George Michael
Michael Kiwanuka
Hozier

#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#PopSoul #samsmith #UK
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)

Oddleaf - Where Ideal and Denial Collide (2024)