Bajofondo - Ohm (2026)


I think Ohm has a very strong identity, but I don't think the songs are as memorable as the sound of the album.

The combination of analogue electronics, bandoneon, strings and Río de la Plata rhythms is immediately recognisable. Switched On Milonga is probably the best example: the synths feel playful and slightly strange, while the underlying rhythm keeps everything grounded. Acequias and Tres Empanadas also work well because they balance atmosphere and groove without feeling like obvious electro-tango exercises.

I also like how compact the album is. Fourteen tracks in forty-six minutes means Bajofondo rarely overextends an idea, and the sequencing keeps things moving.

My main problem is that too many tracks function more as textures, transitions or clever studio constructions than songs I really want to return to individually. I remember the palette of the album very clearly, but not enough specific melodies or hooks.

Se Fue el Sol is interesting because Cristian Castro brings a completely different vocal character, but even there I admire the contrast more than I love the song itself.

So for me this is a good electronic album with plenty of personality and excellent production. I just don't think the songwriting and replay value are strong enough to place it much above average.

Pros
Very distinctive mix of electronics and Río de la Plata traditions
Strong production and consistently interesting textures
Compact and well sequenced despite the high track count

Cons
Too few genuinely memorable melodies
Several tracks feel more like ideas than complete songs
I remember the overall sound much better than the individual compositions





Genre: Electronica
Country: Argentina/Uruguay

Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 381th / 650

Highlight: Switched On Milonga


Made me think of:
Gotan Project
Nicola Cruz
Dengue Dengue Dengue

#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#Electronica #Bajofondo #Argentina/Uruguay
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)

Oddleaf - Where Ideal and Denial Collide (2024)