Pattern-Seeking Animals - Grimalkin (2026)
I think Grimalkin is a good melodic progressive rock album, but I don't think it consistently rises above the level of a very competent genre exercise.
The songwriting is clearly the main strength. Maybe All a Dream has enough melody to make the progressive structure feel natural, while Break Away balances hooks and instrumental detail particularly well. I also like Slowly Falls the Flying Man, which is probably the most ambitious track and the one where the different textures actually create something memorable rather than simply showing how many ideas the band can fit into one song.
Ted Leonard remains a major asset. His voice gives the album warmth and continuity, and the shorter tracks help prevent the record from becoming overloaded with long-form prog.
My main problem is familiarity. I hear a lot of Kansas, Spock's Beard and classic melodic prog in the arrangements, and although Pattern-Seeking Animals handle those influences extremely well, I don't always hear enough that belongs uniquely to them.
The album is also almost too polished. The musicianship is excellent, the production is clean and the structures are carefully controlled, but I rarely feel much danger or emotional urgency. Traveler on the Wrong Road Home at least tries something different, even if I am not completely convinced by all the stylistic choices.
So this is definitely above average and there are several tracks I would return to. I just admire the craftsmanship slightly more than I connect with the album as a whole.
ProsStrong melodic songwriting for progressive rock
Break Away and Slowly Falls the Flying Man are clear highlights
Excellent vocals and musicianship throughout
Cons
Too many familiar Kansas/Spock's Beard references
Polished and controlled to the point of feeling slightly safe
Good songs without enough genuinely distinctive or emotional peaks
Genre: Progressive Rock
Country: US
Final Verdict: 67% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 144th / 651
Highlight: Break Away
Made me think of:
Spock’s Beard
Big Big Train
The Neal Morse Band
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ProgressiveRock #Pattern-SeekingAnimals #US
#LP #Album #release
