Mastodon - Marrow Deep (2026)
I think Marrow Deep works because Mastodon sound genuinely hungry again.
The opening two tracks are particularly strong. Barbarians Blood has exactly the kind of huge, slightly crooked riff I want from Mastodon, while Poisonous Weapons combines aggression with a very effective clean section from Brann. The heaviness feels purposeful rather than simply nostalgic.
I also really like what the keyboards bring to the album. Your Ghost Again, Golden Spires and Moth and Bone have much more colour than I expected, and the seventies prog influences fit surprisingly naturally alongside the sludge riffs.
The last part of the album is probably my favourite. The Vanishing has a great Sabbath atmosphere and develops slowly rather than immediately going for another huge chorus. Then The Three Fates gives the record a proper ending, moving through prog, psychedelic textures and heavy sections without feeling like an eight-minute collection of unrelated ideas.
The emotional context obviously gives the album additional weight, but I don't think it needs that story to work. The riffs, melodies and arrangements are strong enough on their own.
My main reservation is Brent Hinds' absence. Nick Johnston is an excellent guitarist, but Hinds brought an unpredictable quality that made the best Mastodon records feel slightly dangerous. This album sometimes feels more controlled, even when it is very heavy.
Sixty-five minutes is also still quite long. I don't hear obvious filler, but there are moments in the middle where the overall Mastodon sound becomes more memorable than the individual songs.
Still, this is clearly more than just a solid comeback. It has strong riffs, real emotion and enough progressive detail to keep revealing things without forgetting that the songs need to work.
ProsSome of Mastodon's strongest heavy riffing in years
Excellent integration of synths and seventies progressive influences
The Vanishing and The Three Fates give the album a particularly strong ending
Cons
Brent Hinds' strange, unpredictable guitar personality is inevitably missed
Sixty-five minutes still feels slightly generous
A few middle tracks blend together more than the highlights
Genre: Progressive Metal
Country: US
Final Verdict: 71% (Very Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 42th / 652
Highlight: The Vanishing
Made me think of:
Baroness
Elder
Gojira
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ProgressiveMetal #Mastodon #US
#LP #Album #release
