Audrey Horne - Achilles (2026)


I think Achilles is a good hard rock album, but I don't think the songwriting is distinctive enough across the whole record to push it much beyond that.

The title track is one of the stronger moments. I like the way it moves through different sections instead of relying on a single riff and chorus, and the longer structure feels justified.

In The Eye Of The Hurricane is enjoyable, but the Dio influence is so obvious that I hear the reference almost before I hear the song itself.

Vampires works better for me. The twin-guitar melodies are strong and this is one of the tracks where the musicianship actually turns into something memorable.

God Damn Beautiful is useful because it changes the mood. The different lead vocal and more melodic hard-rock approach give the album some necessary variation.

Pretty Little Lies is probably my favourite track. The darker atmosphere and slower build give it more emotional weight than most of the record, and it feels less dependent on obvious classic-rock references.

Insanity is energetic and well written, but again the Iron Maiden influence is impossible to ignore. It works in the moment, but I don't think it fully develops its own identity.

Hell Is Eternity is one of the weaker tracks for me. The energy is there, but the song feels much more generic.

Six Feet In The Ground is more interesting because the melancholy and cleaner textures create a different atmosphere.

Running Through The Night is fun and should work very well live, but it is also probably the clearest example of the album sounding too close to its influences.

New Star Falling is a good ending. I like the more melodic and atmospheric direction, and it gives the album a proper sense of conclusion.

The main strength of Achilles is clearly the playing. The guitars are excellent, the vocals are strong and the album is varied enough to avoid becoming completely repetitive.

But I still think the influences are often more memorable than the songs themselves.

There are a few tracks I would definitely keep, but not enough to make me want to return to the full album very often.

Pros

  • Achilles, Vampires, Pretty Little Lies and New Star Falling are the main highlights
  • Excellent twin-guitar work and consistently strong vocals
  • Enough variation to keep the album moving

Cons

  • Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and Dio influences are sometimes too obvious
  • Several songs are more impressive as performances than as compositions
  • The second half contains a few tracks that blur together





Genre: Hard Rock
Country: Norway

Final Verdict: 65% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 262th / 672

Highlight: New Star Falling


Made me think of:
The Night Flight Orchestra
Thin Lizzy
Iron Maiden

#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#HardRock #AudreyHorne #Norway
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)