Billy Strings - So Much For Goodbyes (2026)


I think So Much For Goodbyes is a good album, but not one I would return to as a complete seventy-five-minute listen very often.

The strongest thing about it is that Billy Strings is clearly thinking beyond instrumental virtuosity. Carry Us Home works because the arrangement is stripped down enough to let the song stand on its own, while Live to Tell has a broader country sound without losing the bluegrass identity.

Lucid Daydream is probably one of the highlights for me. The longer structure feels justified because the instrumental tension actually follows the restless mood of the song rather than simply turning into a jam.

I also like Still I Crash. It is probably the most emotionally direct moment on the album, and the decision to keep it sparse makes it much more effective than another elaborate arrangement would have been.

Remember to Cry works for a different reason. The contrast between the fast, almost joyful bluegrass playing and the much darker subject gives the song a stronger identity than several of the more traditional tracks.

My main problem is still the length.

Sixteen songs is a lot, and even though the album is varied, there are several moments where I appreciate the musicianship more than I actually want to replay the song. I Wish I Wanted To is the clearest example for me: there is plenty to admire, but the track feels longer than the emotional payoff really justifies.

The same thing happens across parts of the second half. The playing is consistently excellent, but that doesn't always translate into memorable melodies or songs I immediately want to keep.

So for me this is a solid Billy Strings album with a handful of genuinely strong tracks and a lot of impressive musicianship. I just think the best material is surrounded by too much that I admire more than I love.

Pros

  • Lucid Daydream, Live to Tell and Still I Crash are strong highlights
  • Exceptional musicianship throughout
  • More emotional and stylistically varied than a standard bluegrass album

Cons

  • Sixteen tracks and seventy-five minutes are too much
  • Several songs are more impressive as performances than memorable as compositions
  • The strongest emotional moments are diluted by the amount of material





Genre: Bluegrass
Country: US

Final Verdict: 65% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 222th / 664

Highlight: Remember to Cry


Made me think of:
Molly Tuttle
Sturgill Simpson
Jason Isbell

#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#Bluegrass #BillyStrings #US
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)