Chat Pile - Who Loves the Sun (2026)
I like that Chat Pile are trying to move rather than simply repeat God’s Country. There is more space here, more melody, and more willingness to let a song breathe before everything collapses again. “Deep Blue” is probably the best example. It has an actual hook, but it still sounds damaged enough to remain unmistakably Chat Pile. “Same Rules” also works because the restraint makes the eventual weight more effective.
The problem is that I don't find the whole album equally convincing. Too many songs eventually return to the same basic emotional place: panic, disgust, social collapse, another ugly riff, another vocal breakdown. It is powerful at first, but by the second half I start to feel the mechanism.
I also think the more accessible direction is slightly double-edged. The band has definitely become better at writing hooks, but part of the unpredictability has disappeared. Some of the ugliness now feels controlled rather than genuinely dangerous. “Intruder” is catchy, “PEN I S MALL” is heavy, and “Family Funeral” is disturbing, but none of them completely changes my perception of what Chat Pile can do. The latter is especially divisive: some critics see it as a highlight, while others find that it drags.
What saves the record is personality. Even when a song is weaker, nobody else really sounds like this band. Raygun Busch still makes ordinary social misery feel grotesque and physical, and the rhythm section gives the music enough instability to stop it becoming generic sludge.
But personality is not enough for a high score. I need stronger songs, more variation and more moments I actually want to replay rather than simply admire.
Good, distinctive and occasionally excellent, but too repetitive in mood and not memorable enough as a complete album.
Genre: Noise Rock
Country: US
Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 416th / 684
Highlight: Deep Blue
Made me think of:
Daughters
The Jesus Lizard
Swans
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#NoiseRock #ChatPile #US
#LP #Album #release
