The Cramps - Gravest Gravy (2026)


 I understand the interest of Gravest Gravy immediately. These 1977 sessions catch The Cramps before the mythology was fully established, but almost everything is already there: the primitive rockabilly, the garage sound, the horror-movie obsession, the deliberately cheap aesthetic and Lux Interior already sounding like someone who has no intention of behaving normally. There is real pleasure in hearing a band discover its identity this early.

The problem is that I am much more interested in the document than in the album. “TV Set” and “Weekend on Mars” already have the right ingredients, and the Alex Chilton production suits them because it doesn't try to clean anything up. The guitars are thin and dirty, the rhythm section is basic, and that is exactly what this music needs. When it works, there is something genuinely infectious about how little they seem to care about sounding professional.

But a lot of Gravest Gravy also sounds unfinished, which is logical because that is essentially what it is. Several performances feel like preliminary versions rather than interpretations I would choose over the later recordings. The covers are enjoyable, but they mostly reinforce the band's influences rather than adding much to its catalogue. And once the historical curiosity wears off, I am left with a collection that has atmosphere and personality but relatively few moments I really need to hear again.

That's important for the score. I don't want to give extra points because these tapes are old, rediscovered or historically significant. If this exact music had appeared from an unknown band today, I would probably find it energetic and amusing but also extremely limited. The songwriting is basic, the performances are rough, and the record doesn't really develop beyond its initial idea.

I still prefer this kind of imperfect archival release to something artificially polished. It has character, and The Cramps had more character in 1977 than many bands ever manage to develop. But character alone is not enough.

Interesting history, some very good primitive rock'n'roll and a lot of personality, but mostly for people already invested in The Cramps. I would listen to Songs the Lord Taught Us instead almost every time. 




Genre: Garage Punk
Country: US

Final Verdict: 55% (Forgettable Album)
Yearly Ranking: 673th / 683

Highlight: Weekend on Mars


Made me think of:
The Gun Club
The Meteors
Suicide

#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#GaragePunk #TheCramps #US
#LP #Album #release


 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)