Kasabian - Act III (2026)
I think ACT III is a good Kasabian album, and probably a little better than I first expected, mainly because the short format keeps its constant changes of direction from becoming exhausting.
SOULMATE is a solid start. The bass and darker atmosphere work well, even if I remember the sound more clearly than the actual chorus.
Hippie Sunshine has much more impact. The distorted synths and energy are immediate, and while the glam-rock detour feels slightly forced, the song has enough personality to survive it.
SUPERPOWERS is one of the highlights for me. The psychedelic elements fit naturally with the Kasabian sound and give the track something more distinctive than another straightforward festival anthem.
GREAT PRETENDER is weaker. It is catchy, but the chorus feels generic and I don't think there is enough underneath the production to make me want to return to it often.
NOTHING BETTER THAN THIS works much better because it stays simple. Good groove, direct riff, no unnecessary complication. It is probably the song I would replay first.
The interludes help the flow, but I still see them mainly as transitions rather than important parts of the album.
SILVER APPLE EYES has an interesting disco and psychedelic combination, although again I remember the production more clearly than the composition.
THE GURU AND THE CRYPTO TIME MACHINE is one of the best moments because Kasabian finally lean fully into the strange, cinematic side of their sound instead of trying to force another big chorus.
I also like GLIDE. It is more atmospheric and less immediate, but that actually gives it more replay value for me.
HYPER//RISING brings some welcome weight back into the final section, even if the hard-rock language is familiar.
Then SAY YOU (CLOSER) is a good ending. I like that they finish with something warmer and more restrained rather than another attempt at a huge climax.
The thirty-three-minute running time helps enormously. Even when a song is only moderately successful, the album moves on before the idea becomes irritating.
My main problem is still that Kasabian often seem more interested in changing style than in writing a stronger melody. I hear disco, psychedelia, electronics, glam and hard rock, but sometimes the change itself is more memorable than the song.
Still, there are enough good tracks and enough personality to make this more than simply a competent late-career Kasabian release.
Pros
- NOTHING BETTER THAN THIS, SUPERPOWERS and THE GURU AND THE CRYPTO TIME MACHINE are clear highlights
- Very compact and easy to replay
- Good balance between guitars, electronics and psychedelic elements
Cons
- Several arrangements are more memorable than the songs
- GREAT PRETENDER feels too generic
- The constant stylistic shifts occasionally make the album feel slightly fragmented
Genre: Altenative Rock
Country: UK
Final Verdict: 66% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 202th / 670
Highlight: Superpowers
Made me think of:
Primal Scream
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Death in Vegas
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#AltenativeRock #Kasabian #UK
#LP #Album #release
