Modern Woman - Johnny's Dreamworld (2026)
There are a lot of ideas here.
Probably too many.
The title track tells me almost immediately what Modern Woman want to do. Nervous rhythm, theatrical vocal, violin, sudden changes in texture.
It is distinctive.
But distinction is not enough.
“Neptune Girl” is shorter and easier to follow, yet I already start hearing the formula: quiet versus loud, pretty versus abrasive, controlled versus chaotic.
The contrasts are supposed to keep me alert.
Instead, after a while, I start waiting for the next contrast.
“Offerings” works better because the movement feels connected to the song rather than added on top of it.
“Killing A Dog” is interesting too, but Sophie Harris’ vocal style dominates so much that I sometimes hear the performance more than the melody.
That happens several times here.
“Daniel” is one of the moments I prefer because everything becomes simpler. Less showing, more space.
The song benefits immediately.
“Fork/Heart” goes back in the other direction. Folk texture, rupture, noise, another left turn.
I understand the intention.
I just do not need every song to remind me how unpredictable the band can be.
“Blessed Day” is refreshing because it is more straightforward. Even Musikexpress singles it out as one of the record’s more direct rock tracks.
Sometimes simple is useful.
Then “Dashboard Mary” gives me the best balance on the album.
The first part is vulnerable and restrained, then the crescendo actually develops the song instead of interrupting it.
That is probably my favorite.
“The Garden” closes things quietly, and I like that choice too.
The album is only thirty-three minutes, which helps a lot. If this approach continued for fifty minutes, I think I would struggle.
There is obviously a good band here.
The arrangements are imaginative. The instrumentation is unusual. Harris has a strong presence.
But I keep coming back to the same problem.
I remember the devices more clearly than the songs.
That is why I cannot go much above 60.
Inventive, distinctive and occasionally very good, but too often the arrangement is the event. I hear the intelligence before I hear the emotion, and I remember the changes more than the melodies.
Genre: Art Rock
Country: UK
Final Verdict: 60% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 586th / 695
Highlight: Dashboard Mary
Made me think of:
English Teacher
Mary in the Junkyard
Aldous Harding
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ArtRock #ModernWoman #UK
#LP #Album #release
