Ozric Tentacles - Harmonic Mind (2026)


 I know exactly what this is after a few seconds.

That is reassuring.

And slightly limiting.

“Guardstones” has all the ingredients I expect: flute, synth layers, bass movement, guitar, a gradual rhythmic lift.

It sounds good.

Very good, actually.

But I am not discovering much.

“Space Platform” is tighter and more energetic. The groove works, the guitar cuts through nicely, and the track moves quickly.

Still, I can almost predict the next texture before it arrives.

That happens a lot here.

“Harmonic Mind” is the strongest piece because it has room to breathe.

The rhythm changes, the guitar becomes more melodic, the synths open up, then the track drifts before finding another pulse.

That is where Ozric Tentacles are still very effective.

The transitions feel natural.

“Malachite” changes the colour enough to keep me interested. The acoustic guitar helps because it breaks the otherwise very synthetic surface.

“Tillamook” is probably the most interesting track.

It feels less comfortable.

The structure is looser, the atmosphere stranger, and for a while I am not quite sure where it is going.

I like that.

The band is so experienced that unpredictability is more valuable than perfection at this point.

“Sumipad” closes the album efficiently.

And forty-three minutes is the right length.

Any longer and I think the repetition would become much more obvious.

The playing is excellent throughout.

That is never the issue.

The issue is that I hear a band refining something they have already refined many times.

The synths are beautiful.

The guitar is expressive.

The rhythm section is strong.

The atmosphere is consistently immersive.

But consistency is not the same as excitement.

I would probably replay the title track and “Tillamook.”

Maybe “Malachite” too.

The whole album? Occasionally.

That is where 66 makes sense.

Strong musicianship, very good atmosphere and some excellent progressive passages, but too much of the language feels already known. Good Ozrics, not essential Ozrics.




Genre: Progressive Rock
Country: UK

Final Verdict: 66% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 198th / 696

Highlight: Harmonic Mind


Made me think of:
Hidria Spacefolk
Quantum fantay
Taipuva Luotisuora

#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ProgressiveRock #OzricTentacles #UK
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)