Alban Gerhardt - Elgar; Dvořák: Cello Concertos (2026)
I can appreciate the level of musicianship on display, but this recording never becomes more than a respectable interpretation for me. Alban Gerhardt plays with remarkable precision and a beautiful tone, and it's obvious that every phrase has been carefully considered. Still, the performances often feel too restrained. The Elgar, in particular, misses some of the emotional depth and sense of longing that make the concerto so powerful, while the Dvořák, although more successful, doesn't quite reach the level of excitement or warmth I expect from my favorite recordings. The orchestra provides solid support without adding much personality of its own. I respect the refinement and technical quality throughout, but I finish the album admiring it more than loving it. It's a polished recording that rarely rises above being simply well played.
Pros
Elegant cello tone with consistently excellent technique.Clear, disciplined interpretations that remain faithful to the score.
High-quality recording with good orchestral balance.
Cons
Emotional expression feels too reserved, especially in the Elgar.The orchestra lacks distinctive character and dramatic presence.
Difficult to justify over the established benchmark recordings.
Genre: Classical
Country: Germany
Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 364th / 565
Highlight: Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85 : Elgar: Cello Concerto in E Minor, Op. 85: IV. Allegro
Made me think of:
Jacqueline du Pré
Steven Isserlis
Gautier Capuçon
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#Classical #AlbanGerhardt #Germany
#LP #Album #release
