Bill Orcutt - Almost Waking (2026)
I can appreciate the chemistry between Bill Orcutt and Mabe Fratti, but the album never quite develops into something I genuinely want to revisit. The interplay between guitar and cello is thoughtful and often beautiful, with both musicians listening closely to each other, yet the improvisational format means many passages feel more exploratory than memorable. There are flashes of real emotional resonance, but they're surrounded by long stretches that drift without much direction. I admire the restraint and the musicianship, though I rarely feel fully engaged from beginning to end. By the time it's over, I remember the atmosphere and the conversation between the instruments more than any specific musical ideas. It's a respectable experimental collaboration, but one that ultimately leaves me appreciating the process more than the finished work.
Pros
Excellent communication and chemistry between the performers.Expressive guitar and cello playing with rich textures.
Creates a calm, intimate atmosphere throughout.
Cons
Improvisational structure often lacks memorable compositions.Slow pacing can make sections feel unfocused.
Emotional payoff is inconsistent despite the strong musicianship.
Genre: Experimental Rock
Country: US / Guatemala
Final Verdict: 65% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 203th / 564
Highlight: El inicio es cuestión de suerte
Made me think of:
Jim O'Rourke
Loren Connors
Derek Bailey
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ExperimentalRock #BillOrcutt #US/Guatemala
#LP #Album #release
