Perry Maysun - Pathetic Beasts
I appreciate how personal and uncompromising Pathetic Beasts is, but I don't think its ambition is matched by its execution. Perry Maysun has a distinctive voice, and the emotional honesty never feels forced, yet the album often loses focus under its own weight. The production constantly changes direction, which keeps things interesting, but it also makes the listening experience feel scattered rather than cohesive. There are moments where the vulnerability and creativity come together beautifully, but they're separated by stretches that feel underdeveloped or unnecessarily long. A more disciplined edit would have made the strongest ideas stand out much more. I leave respecting the artistic vision and sincerity behind the project, but I find it difficult to return to such an uneven and demanding listen.
Pros
Deeply personal lyricism with genuine emotional vulnerability.Creative production that refuses to follow conventional formulas.
Distinct artistic identity throughout the album.
Cons
Bloated runtime significantly hurts pacing.Inconsistent songwriting weakens the overall impact.
More admirable as an artistic statement than enjoyable as a complete listening experience.
Genre: Experimental Hip Hop
Country: US
Final Verdict: 63% (Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 353th / 556
Highlight: Iman Shumpert
Made me think of:
JPEGMAFIA
Earl Sweatshirt
Navy Blue
#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#ExperimentalHipHop #PerryMaysun #US
#LP #Album #release
