Vanessa Funke - Aura (2026)


I think Aura is a very good album, but it doesn't quite have the exceptional emotional pull I expected after Void.

Last Dawn is a strong opener. The melodic guitar work immediately gives the album some personality, and I like how the song takes its time without becoming unnecessarily long.

Fading Memory works well because it is much more direct. The heavier riffs and harsh vocals give the album momentum, while the melodic leads keep it from becoming generic melodeath.

Coherence is probably one of the highlights for me. The personal subject gives the song real weight, and the balance between melody, tension and aggression feels natural.

I also like Infinite Skies. It brings some light into an otherwise dark album, and that change of emotional tone is important because the record could easily have become too uniform.

Dead Souls is ambitious and has some excellent moments, but this is also where I feel the limitation of the album. I admire the atmosphere and progression, but I don't think every section leaves a strong enough melodic trace afterwards.

Death's Hand is clearly weaker for me. The gothic imagery and melodic death metal language feel much more familiar, and it doesn't have the same emotional specificity as the strongest tracks.

Empty Heart is a good change of pace. The cleaner vocals and more restrained arrangement give the album some breathing room, although I don't think the song is quite strong enough melodically to become one of my main keepers.

Into the Night is probably the best conclusion the album could have. The keyboards, heavier riffs and emotional tone come together very naturally, and it feels like a proper ending rather than simply another track.

My main issue is that Aura is very well constructed but slightly less immersive than I expected.

I can hear the Insomnium and Dark Tranquillity influence quite clearly, and while Vanessa Funke brings enough personality to avoid sounding generic, some of the riffs and melodic structures still feel familiar.

The shorter running time definitely helps. The album rarely drags, and there are several tracks I would return to. But I don't get the same feeling of wanting to disappear completely inside the album that can push atmospheric metal into my highest scores.

So for me this is a strong, emotional and well-written record with several excellent moments, but not quite a major personal reference.

Pros

  • Coherence, Last Dawn, Dead Souls and Into the Night are strong highlights
  • Very good balance of atmosphere, melody and heaviness
  • Compact pacing makes the album easy to replay

Cons

  • Some melodeath riffs and structures feel too familiar
  • The atmosphere is stronger than the individual melodies on several tracks
  • It doesn't create the same level of full-album immersion as the very best records in this style




Genre: melodic death metal
Country: Germany

Final Verdict: 73% (Very Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 30th / 667

Highlight: Dead Souls


Made me think of:
Insomnium
Dark Tranquillity
Oceans of Slumber

#newalbum #newalbum2026 #albumrelease #newmusic #albumoftheday #nowspinning #NowPlaying #musicdiscovery
#melodicdeathmetal #VanessaFunke #Germany
#LP #Album #release

 

Popular posts from this blog

Cola - The Gloss (2024)

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings | Repented (2026)